Saturday, September 17, 2011

Hanne Hellvik - Jos, Nigeria

Volunteering experience in Africa.Hanne Hellvik is one of 62 individuals that went on exchange with AIESEC Norway last year.
AIESEC Norway is the national chapter of the world's largest student-run organization that focused on providing a platform for youth leadership development and has more than 60 years of existence.
During this time AIESEC was giving an opportunity for young people to challenge themselves in international environment, to get to know the local culture from the inside and to have a working experience.

Hanne Hellvik is sharing her story which she was living in Nigeria while doing community development internship. Her story is one of more than 15000 stories but unique and personal. And you also can write your own story:




"Overall, I am very satisfied with the internship I had in Jos in summer. It exceeded all expectations. I loved the country and the people I met during the internship. People was so welcoming and with a great hospitality. Personally, I believe it is not without reason that AIESEC Jos have been awarded as the best LC (local chapter) in Africa. I also felt very safe during the stay, which was one of my biggest concerns before coming to the given country. I learned more than I ever could have asked for. Everything that was negative, I have decided to turn into something positive. And I am glad I experienced the negative things too, as it have learned me so much, and I would not be without these experiences. What I have seen and learned is also very relevant for my studies.

<-----
Beautiful African dresses given by CeGHaD when the internship was finished.




I did not get a culture shock; I have traveled in Africa before and have worked with Africans. I would therefore say that I was prepared for the given culture. My impression of AIESEC as an organization is nothing else than positive. Both parts, in Norway and Nigeria have been doing a great effort to make this a good experience for me. I also think it is great that students get the opportunity to develop him or herself by joining the organization and be an AIESEC`er. In addition is it great that students get the opportunity to go on internship in other countries to get work experience, experience another culture and make a difference.


Here all the interns

I loved the country so much that I am going back to Nigeria in November to write my thesis. The network I got during my internship will be essential in this process.






I am forever grateful for what everyone in Nigeria has done for me. I have gotten friends (interns and AIESEC`ers) for life. It is one of the best experiences I have had in my life."

Yours sincerely,
Hanne Hellvik



Get to know more about current project - Your Impact, Africa
Apply for an internship here
Visit our webpage www.aiesec.no

1 comment: