Friday, September 30, 2011

Tasha He - Brno, Czech Republic

Let me start by saying this: go on an internship! Then let me continue by urging you to go on an internship with AIESEC. Actually, what’s even better is go on an internship with AIESEC to Czech Republic!
Why go on an internship?
After I got my bachelor degree from NHH I was eager to acquire more international experience through an internship abroad. I got an internship with Dixons retail, a British electronics company that owns among others Elkjøp and Lefdal. My responsibility was merchandise invoice control for Elkjøp and Lefdal with accuracy and predetermined targets. Working in an international environment with KPIs, deadlines and real life problems has been a major learning process for me. It has allowed me to gain valuable work experience in my field of study and to see in practice how a multinational enterprise functions.
So why go on an internship with AIESEC?
you could find an internship by yourself but I got so much help and support from both LCs. The LC in NHH helped me so much with finding the right internship and the LC in Brno gave me significant support and help from beginning to start, such as finding a place to live, get tram card, sim card etc. and I have met so many amazing people through my stay whom I would never come across if it wasn’t for AIESEC.
Why Czech Republic?
I arrived in Brno, the second largest city in Czech Republic without much expectation. I have travelled and lived in many places through my life and I hardly find anything exciting anymore, but man did Brno amaze me!
The city itself is smaller than Bergen but has a slightly larger population with many students. Brno, in contrast to Prague is not a touristic city so not many people speak or understand English. Add this to the fact that Czech is one of the most difficult languages to learn, means I had some difficulty communicating in the beginning but everything could be solved by a small dictionary and a big smile. Czech people are said to be open and friendly and I’ve found that to be 100% true. It is very easy to make friends and Czech people are very accepting and curious.
Another thing I love about living in Brno is the approximately to popular tourist destinations such as Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest and Prague. I have also traveled quite a bit in Czech republic and I have to say that the more I see of this country, the more I love it. If this still doesn’t convince you, let me just say that Czech beer is delicious and Brno is the wine region, so there is something for everyone.
The Czech purchase power is slightly less than the Norwegian purchase power, meaning that it is cheap to be a tourist in Czech republic, but you don’t have that much money if you work and live here. I get about 18000 czk per month and that covers all of my basic costs(food, renting a room in an apartment, going out 3 times a week). Czech students usually survive on 9000 czk and rich expats can blow 60000 czk a week so it really depends on your lifestyle.
My stay in Brno has been mind-blowingly awesome and I would recommend everyone to grab the chance AIESEC is offering and dare to do something different!


No comments:

Post a Comment